Insert Trumpets Here

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rules

After further reflection on my actions as of late, I have come to the conclusion that I should probably restrict myself.

You see, as someone who can understand Japanese and Chinese, I can understand most manga out there. It's my wish to share that understanding with everyone else, as cheesy and naive as that sounds. I also may not understand some of the dialogue and thoughts as I'm quickly thumbing through the raws, so this also benefits me.

I also have a "cheap Chinese goods" philosophy, that by driving supply up, I can lower the price of a scanlation (time?) and increase the quantity. That way, I can force other scanlators to pick up their game too, and that benefits me as well for some of the manga I can't understand as well.

However, I hit the age-old macroeconomic problem of infinite desire (to translate) and limited resources (time and energy to translate).

That's why, as of this moment, I'm establishing scanlating rules for myself. It may seem silly, but if no one else recognizes it, it just doesn't exist to me.
  1. Only 3 active volumes. Right now, the volumes are Cyber Blue vol 1, Hanako vol 3, and Kaibutsu Oujo vol 9. Upotte is a special case, since it's a monthly with one untranslated chapter.
  2. Must finish the volume, and the manga if it has ended, and there's less than 4 volumes remaining.
  3. Release time is at most 3 days (unless on vacation), but at least 1 day.
I'll try to be a less impulsive scanlator from now on, picking projects at random. After today, I don't think I'm cut out to handle Pokemon Special, so consider ch 365 as an one-time offer.

Cyber Blue will continue tomorrow night

2 comments:

  1. "I also have a "cheap Chinese goods" philosophy, that by driving supply up, I can lower the price of a scanlation (time?) and increase the quantity. That way, I can force other scanlators to pick up their game too, and that benefits me as well for some of the manga I can't understand as well."

    Oh how I wished that the scanlator world worked like this. And hey, maybe it does for the series that have several groups scanlating em. But not for most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, it's like pissing in the ocean

    ReplyDelete