Insert Trumpets Here

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Noririn ch 1

Wait, you might be asking, "where is Sin & Punishment?"

Well, I realized a few days ago that if I keep taking requests, I'll never get to the series I really want to do. It's like a loan that never stops borrowing. So to break this cycle, I'm defaulting on that loan and hoping that the government will bail me out by funding the translation of Sin & Punishment with your tax dollars. Maybe not, but I hope that someone will eventually pick it up. I also hope that I didn't upset too many of you.

So instead, here's a series I've been wanting to pick up for a while now:

It's called Noririn, a bicycle manga by Kitoh Mohiro (Shadow Star Narutaru, Bokurano). Readers who have ever read or watched one of those two might be setting up a betting pool for when the first fatality will occur, but having read through the 12 raw chapters released, I find that there is a strange absence of gloom and doom in this manga. In fact, the first result on Google if you search "のりりん" is a blog post entitled "鬼頭莫宏の自転車漫画『のりりん』が面白い、但し未だ人死には出ず", or "Kitoh Mohiro's bicycle manga 'Noririn' is interesting, but no one has died yet." Well, the ski jumping manga Nononono by Elfen Lied's author has been surprisingly good so far without excess gore, so maybe one day we'll see horror mangaka Junji Ito drawing a hockey manga.

Anyway, here's the first chapter. It seems like a standard sports manga intro so far


Edit: Wait, I spoke too soon. Ito just started a manga about Rasputin in Big Comic:

What. The. Fuck.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks; I tried reading this a while ago but the dialect killed me. Apparently noririn means "will you ride?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Rin speaks with some strange verbal tics. I don't think "Noririn" is "will you ride?", but I wouldn't put it past her weird dialect. For the time being, I guess it's just a portmanteau of Nori and Rin and also the name of the bike.

    ReplyDelete