Insert Trumpets Here

Monday, August 22, 2011

Online Manga Downloader 0.1.0

It's been about 6 months since I've last updated. I've been working hard all over those six months to redesign this; I totally didn't just pull this out of my ass today.

Anyways, the more I worked with the past versions, the more I realized that the scraper was a stupid idea. Well, it had its own merits, but it was slow, memory-hungry, and hard-to-maintain. I removed pretty much everything and made a new UI, which just takes in the URL to the viewer and the type of viewer. For example, if I want the first chapter of Ryuushika Ryuushika, I'd just give it "http://www.square-enix.com/jp/magazine/ganganonline/comic/ryushika/viewer/001/_SWF_Window.html".

There's a lot to improve on this UI (like telling the user when the download finishes), but it's fully functional. Feel free to tell me any comments, suggestions, and bugs. Source code is in another branch.

Online Manga Downloader 0.1.0 (MF)

5 comments:

  1. Looks great, will definitely give it a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't comment on the UI until I figure out the reason behind this program? It doesn't seem like a scraper since I'm not familiar with the types listed, and yet it seems like one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The previous iteration had a scraper that scrapes the sites and automatically loads the info. However, it was incredibly slow. This is also a scraper in some aspects, but it just scrapes the manga you want instead of the entire site.

    Sorry, I should have listed the type of viewer that goes along with each site. Actibook is GanGan Online (there's a type of Actibook used on MTKirara site that I haven't worked on yet), CrochetTime is Voyager Store and Kodansha, PCViewer is Yahoo Manga, and PluginFree is Comic High.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.
    It is a very wonderful tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like to comment on how easy this was to use - after trying to get my head around pngcrush and needing to find a working gui version for my computer-illiterate self, it was a relief to just chuck a link in and see it working instantly with no hiccups. I used it on ichijinsha's zero-sum website, which must use the actibook as well.

    Thank you for the excellent downloader!

    ReplyDelete